Animal Control

City of St. Thomas Animal Control Services

Pet Licenses

2021 Dog Tag Information 

Dog Licence Fees

Please see the Township of Southwold Tariff of Fees By-law 2019-26, see page 5 for Dog Licence fees, effective April 2019.

Dog Tags/Licenses: 2021 prices

 - Dog neutered or spayed & vaccinated for rabies                   $30

 - Dog not neutered or spayed & is vaccinated for rabies          $30

 - Dog neutered or spayed & not vaccinated for rabies              $30

 - Dog not neutered or spayed & not vaccinated for rabies         $30

If your tags are purchased after the last business day in February, then an additional $10 is payable.  Replacement tags are $5.00

There is a maximum of 3 dogs allowed per household.  If found to be in violation of By-law 2013-30, there is a $250 fine.

Nuisance or Stray Pets

Image of a cute dogFees

Pursuant to Township By-Law 2013-30, it is your responsibility to keep your dog confined to your property. If your dog is found running at large you will be fined $150.00 per incident.

Steps in the process of having the dog removed:

A dog who is regularly on your property but who never stays long may be trapped. This is an excellent way to deal with nuisance dogs who wander on your property. If possible, confine the dog in an enclosed area such as a garage or shed. (Open a door, place an item of food inside once animal is inside, close door.) Once the animal has been captured, contact the City of St. Thomas Animal Services immediately to have the animal removed (519) 631-7430. In the event you are unable to secure the animal or if you consider the dog to be dangerous, contact the City of St. Thomas Animal Services at 519-631-7430. Keep the dog in sight until Animal Control arrives. Have a description of the dog available and note direction of travel.


The Township of Southwold does not pick up stray cats.


No person shall keep a dog kennel without a licence.

Every owner of a kennel shall pay to the Township of Southwold an annual kennel licence fee.

No kennel may be established except where it is permitted under the applicable Zoning by-law in force.


Have you lost a pet?  Please visit the City Animal Services website to see if it has been taken to the shelter.

Thank you