State of Emergency
There are four primary reasons for the Township’s declaration:
- Protection of volunteers acting on behalf of the Township during an emergency.
- Protection of staff and elected officials from litigious situations that may arise as a result of an emergency.
- Assistance in applying for and receiving any availability of funding that may be offered as a result of the emergency, and to provide private citizens increased validity for their own claims that may come about during the emergency period.
- Indicates to residents the seriousness of the situation and creates awareness around government responses.
Ontario Government Press Release for the closure of recreational facilties. The Township of Southwold has closed all our receational facilities to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Business Operating during COVID-19 questions - Under O.Reg 82/20 it is the responsibility of each individual business to determine whether or not they are considered essential and to cease operations accordingly. Businesses who have questions about how emergency measures impact their business or employment can call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659. Businesses are also encouraged to seek independent legal advice.
Residents who are concerned about a business operating during the COVID-19 pandemic should call the Elgin OPP non-emergency line at 519-631-2920
Public Health Information
- Ontario Updates: www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus
- National Updates: www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan (Financial Support for Individuals and Businesses, Income Tax Deadline Extension and more): www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html